21 October 2008

fifteen & twenty two

i found across this meme a while ago, & decided i'd have shot sometime. the idea is to draw yourself as a teenager next to your present day self, with any difference in style, haircuts etc shown side-by-side. i chose my fifteen year old self, seen next to the current twenty two year old me. the thing that is pretty obvious from the comparison is that i've cut down on my daily allowance of colour & pattern (namely stripes). at fifteen i didn't own a pair of plain socks, & didn't for a while. to the extent that one day as i was helping put up the school christmas tree, a PE teacher nearby - mid-conversation - asked me to pull my trouser leg up, revealing that days over-the-knee rainbow choice when i responded, to which she said to her colleague, "see?"

i think you can read my (messily written) notes if you click the above image. if you do have a go, the originator can be found compiling a list of everyone who's submitted their drawings here.

the postal service - such great heights

12 comments:

Miss Kolleen said...

such az great idea! i'll start sketching as soon as i'm out of the shower.

thanks for always being so inspiring!

Jen Collins said...

i loved it when i found it too, it took me a while to get round to it, but now it's done. (:

not at all, i just post the inspiring things that i find!

Steph said...

excellent! I'm gonna start one too. Oh gosh. the fifteen one is not gonna be good!

I went through a multi coloured phase as well! It's now controlled! few

Lizzy Stewart said...

awww this is so nice. i had been meaning to do this for a while too...maybe yours will spur me on. i was a rainbow sock fan too.

Jen Collins said...

steph: yes, do it! i initially was going to do a ten year ago one, but i was a gangly thing with a terrible haircut at twelve. fifteen was much more flattering.

lizzy: definitly do,i'd love to see. it seems rainbow socks were all the rage for a time.

David Galletly said...

This is awesome, I'll try to give it a shot myself.

I never know whether to reply to comments on my own blog or the commenter's - my own probably makes more sense. I guess I'll do both this one time.

Yeah, I was in Dundee doing a bit of a shambolic talking / teaching. I didn't have time to let people know beforehand, but I'll write about it soon. I'm a bit scared to ask, but what did you hear? :)

AlwaysSecondBest said...

i have got to have a go at this. its a great idea.

Jen Collins said...

isn't it? definitely have a shot.

John Alan Birch said...

It's a cool picture, i like it now it has colour too! i like both of the jen's pattern and sans pattern. Think I'm gonna give this a go on my three day weekend - it seems a good a time as any really!

xxx

Jen Collins said...

i think the colour makes it, since it's kind of a big part of the difference too. i hope you do it this weekend!

cristina said...

nice idea, so I decided to do it :D

here you can see my result, yours is awesome !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wendi/2967252663/

Jen Collins said...

ace, it's great!